Commission: Dance for Gallery Spaces
Dance Consortia North West
Commission Details: Initial fee of £3,500 (£1,500 of which is eligible for National Lottery Project Grant match funding)
Dates: Public sharing October 2020
Application Deadline: Friday 13 September 2019, 5pm
More information and apply
Dance Consortia North West (DCNW) has announced a commission opportunity for a new dance work for gallery spaces, in partnership with Culture Warrington and Lancaster Arts. This commission is open to dance artists who live or work in the North West of England.
The commission will be developed and presented with Warrington Museum and Art Gallery and the Peter Scott Gallery at Lancaster University with performances taking place in October 2020 as part of the Warrington Contemporary Arts Festival and Lancaster Arts’ autumn season. Themes for both are being developed and will be shared with short-listed artists.
Following sharing in 2020, there is the chance that the commissioned dance work will be selected for additional support for a more extensive tour later that year or the following year.
The commissioners are particularly interested in applications from artists with a disability or from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic artists.
The commissioners are accepting applications from dance artists who:
- Are living and working in the North West
- Are not National Portfolio Organisations
- Are not currently studying
The commissioners are looking for proposed work which:
- Is ideally between 15 – 30 minutes in length
- Has been created for a minimum of two performers
- Has been through some form of earlier R&D or has demonstrable earlier research and collaboration that would allow the dance artist to deliver the commission in the proposed timetable
- Will have a strong impact on audiences in the chosen locations
- Moves the dance artist’s professional development forward
- Is able to tour to other gallery spaces
Closing date for applications: 13 September 2019
Interviews & Commission: late September 2019
Funding bids developed and submitted: October – November 2019
Development Phase: January – September 2020
Public sharings: October 2020
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is Friday 13 September 2019, 5pm. Applications may be submitted by email, post or by hand.