The National Rural Touring Forum (NRTF), in partnership with The Place, Take Art and China Plate supports the touring and making of dance for rural areas with funding from Arts Council England’s Strategic Touring programme and Arts Council Wales. They are seeking applications from dance artists to develop and tour dance work to rural audiences and village halls between September 2020 – June 2021 as part of the Rural Dance Touring Initiative 2020/21. The aim of the Initiative is to increase opportunities for rural audiences to experience brilliant new contemporary dance.
This is an opportunity for dance artists to receive support to tour their existing work to rural locations. There are a limited number of bursaries for artists with existing shows to adapt their shows for rural touring if required in addition to guaranteed show fees.
Successful applicants will also attend a paid for residential lab, Practical Introduction to Rural Touring for Contemporary Dance, from 13 – 15 November in Dorset.
The organisations are keen to hear from disabled or BAME applicants to increase the diversity of dance touring rurally.
The organisations are looking for:
- Dance artists with an existing show which is ready to tour rurally (or ready with some adaptations) and is available to tour between September 2020 and June 2021
The organisations are particularly interested in:
- Shows which can bring a community together and offer them a ‘good night out’
- Touring a greater proportion of work suitable for children and families
- Shows suitable for a range of ages which communicate their ideas clearly with people who might not often have the opportunity to experience dance
- Applications which cover a range of approaches to contemporary performance in relation to content, technical or staging considerations
- Artists and works interested in engaging with audiences in different ways, e.g. workshops and wraparound activity to supplement a performance
Deadline for applications: Thursday 5 September 2019, 12noon
Artists notified that they have been selected: Monday 7 October 2019
Practical Introduction to Rural Touring for Contemporary Dance Lab (Dorset): Wednesday 13 – Friday 15 November 2019
How to apply
The deadline for applications is Thursday 5 September 2019, 12noon.
For full information and to apply please visit the The Place’s website.
If you have any questions please contact Claire at the NRTF by emailing email@example.com or calling 07720 032 546.
Photo student choreography by Henry Ward, photo by Nicole Guarino courtesy of NSCD.