Born and raised in Leeds, Mason began his dance training at the age of 17 upon gaining a place on the Centre for Advanced Training (CAT) Scheme at the Northern School of Contemporary Dance (NSCD). From this Mason went on to full-time vocational training on the Foundation course and later progressed onto the Degree. In 2016 Mason graduated with a First Class BA (Hons) in Contemporary Dance where he was awarded with the Carolyn Woolridge Outstanding Performer Scholarship.
Upon graduating, Mason was a part of the Post-graduate performance company VERVE 17 where he worked with the likes of James Cousins Company, Leila McMillan and Carlos Pons Guerra (Denada Dance Theatre) and toured contemporary works as part of an ensemble around the UK and Europe. Most recently, Mason graduated at MA level with a Masters in Contemporary Dance Performance.
Since May 2017 Mason has been a Company Dancer at Black Box Dance Company in Denmark, where he has performed works choreographed by an array of professional artists including Tim Rushton (Danish Dance Theatre), Fotis Nikalaou (X-it Dancetheatre), Jason Mabana (Akram Khan Company), Stephanie Thomasen (Uppercut Dance Theatre), Tina Taarpgard (Recoil performance group) and Marie Brolin-Tani (Skånes Dance Theatre). As part of this, Mason has toured choreographic works internationally to places such as Cyprus, Greenland, Sweden and Tanzania.
Mason has a real passion for teaching and community development, and strives to engage with it as much as possible within his own time. As well as this, Mason has a keen interest in rehearsal directing and worked as a rehearsal director for the NSCD CAT Students in 2018. Mason is hopeful for a future that is within the arts world and looks forward to his next steps as a professional dance artist:
‘Being from Leeds is so important to me and my experience so far. My whole training has been at NSCD and I owe so much to their amazing faculty members for where I am today; having the opportunity to live abroad, work within a professional dance company and all the extra benefits that come along with it has just been an amazing experience so far. Leeds is such a diverse and distinct city with a real push for promoting and encouraging dance and it is so obvious to see that whenever I return from Denmark. I’m so grateful to call Leeds my home!’
- 2012-2016 Northern School of Contemporary Dance, BPA and Foundation Course. Graduated with a First Class Hons in Contemporary Dance. Training in Ballet, Cunningham, Graham, Floor-work, Improvisation, Release and Partner work
- 2016-2017 VERVE 17, Postgraduate Performance Co. Graduated with a Masters in Contemporary Dance Performance
- 2017-now Black Box Dance Company, Company Dancer
- 2015 Shall we Dance? Phoenix Dance Theatre
- 2015 Monarchs, James Finnemore, Hofesh Schecter Company
- 2016 Catalyst, Joss Arnott
- 2017 X-Mythologies, Tina Taarpgard
- 2017 FEAR, Stephanie Thomasen (Uppercut Dance Theatre & Thomas Bentin
- 2017 The Red Hour, Melody Putu (Skånes DT)
- 2017 VERVE 17 Tour; James Cousins Company, Leila McMillan (Flying Low) and Carlos Pons Guerra (DeNada Dance Theatre)
- 2018 Eva’s Dilemma, Tim Rushton, (Danish Dance Theatre)
- 2018 7EVEN, Fotis Nikulaou (X-it Dance Theatre)
- 2018 NO SEX, Jason Mabana (Akram Khan and Wayne McGregor)
- 2018 Elsker Dig for Evigt, Marie Brolin-Tani